Today Theodore Dalrymple wonders why on Earth we are wedded to the news, when it's almost all bad, and we can't do anything about it anyway.
And I wonder why on Earth the pro-choice mostly peaceful protesters are so enraged about the possibility of reversing Roe v. Wade when all it will do is return abortion lawmaking to the states, and if you are a nice liberal lady your blue state will almost certainly keep abortion legal up to and including the moment of birth.
And a chap at the British Spiked wonders why the Brit Labour Party can't shed it's fashionably lefty identity politics -- especially around trans issues -- and recapture the working class that has drifted away from loyalty to Labour.
And I wonder about rich-kid lefty Kathy Boudin, raised in Greenwich Village among lefties, a Bryn Mawr graduate who protested against the black maids at college being underpaid, and then went on to be an accomplice to an armed robbery in which three guards were killed. Here's a quote about Boudin:
“One thing about that kind of background is that even if you’re converted to belief in social transformation and you’re against upper-class privilege, it’s real hard to overcome your deep training as a member of that class that you have the right to run the world.”
See, I think it is odd that while 500 years ago warrior landowners knew they had a right to run the world, today it is educated activists that know they have a right to run the world. How does that work?
Meanwhile my congerscritter Pramila Jayapal (N-WA) is all a-twitter about forgiving college debt to the privileged while the stock market is going down the toilet now that the Fed has -- finally -- decided to Do Something about double-digit inflation. Where were you, a year ago, Rep. Jayapal, when a wise head would have been saying that maybe now is not the time for super-mega-blowout spending bills.
And now I read that the Biden White House is bragging about helping the Ukrainians sink a Russki ship, killing Russki generals, To say nothing of Nancy Pelosi going to Ukraine to promise additional support.
Hey, President Biden! I got four grandsons that are at or close to military age, and I don't think that your stumbling efforts in eastern Europe add up to a reason to send them to... Yeah, exactly what are we trying to do in Ukraine?
Meanwhile, Jan Psaki is quitting as presidential Press Secretary, to be replaced by Karine Jean-Pierre, the first black and "out LBGTQ person" to serve in that role.
Somehow, I get the feeling that the world is out of joint, and it ain't gonna get back in joint for a while.
No comments:
Post a Comment