We all remember our pal Rahm Emanuel and his famous line in 2008:
You never let a serious crisis go to waste. And what I mean by that it's an opportunity to do things you think you could not do before.
Guess what: Rahm wasn't the first guy to come up with that line. Winston Churchill said "Never let a good crisis go to waste" towards the end of World War II.
And we are seeing the same thing with the COVID crisis. Pile on every imaginable new spending program you can think of, AOC and Bernie. There'll never be a better time than right now.
But really, it was ever thus. Humans don't like to get radical unless there's a serious crisis. Indeed, we know from hurricanes and the Cajun Navy that humans, in a way, love to drop everything and work together when the world is falling apart.
So, you Friends of Brandon, how about thinking about what to do to take advantage of the metastasizing crisis in the glorious sunshine of the Biden administration?
Although I hate and fear what is coming down the pike, in terms of inflation, the Fed having to step on the brakes -- if it does! -- unemployment, peoples' lives disrupted, let us not forget that the glorious Reagan years were impossible without the abject failure of the Carter years.
Hey, remember? For a few years our Democratic friends would say stuff like: "Liberal? Who me? No, no. Nobody here but us New Democrats and moderates."
Incidentally, that's why liberals changed back from liberals to progressives. For the same reason they switched in the 1920s from progressives to liberals. In the 1920s, after the glorious Wilson years, the progressives decided a name change was in order. And so, after the Sixties and Seventies, liberals decided n their turn that a name change was needed.
But what should we be doing "that you could not do before?" and ram down the throats of the wokey fools and knaves of our present crisis? Of course, I have my dream list, such as phasing Social Security into a genuine retirement savings program featuring Fidelity and Vanguard.
My Social Security reform would allow people to have the option of earmarking some of their FICA taxes for their own savings program. The amount would rise over time so that, in a generation, people could earmark up to 50 percent of FICA taxes to their own retirement program.
Medicare reform? You know, I don't think the ladies would let us. Healthcare is all-in-all to the fair sex.
Education? You know, I think this is the big opportunity this time around. The absurd Loudon Country shenanigans and the ridiculous Biden initiative that siccs the FBI on eevil violent extremist parents may really have upset the suburban moms of the world. We could have a window of opportunity where we can increase school choice: partly because of the transgender frou-fra, and partly from the COVID experience when the teachers decided, like Bartleby, that they would rather not, and moms all over experimented with home-school, micro-schools, and learning pods. Oh, and did you know that black moms are also pro-school choice?
Also, I think, coming up, there is a good chance that with gas prices going through the roof we will get a chance to lance the boil of green energy, at least for a while.
And whatabout putting the shiv into universities? I think it should be something to do with the size of the bureaucracy and the size of the endowment with a complicated factor that says that any university with a big administration and/or endowment would be forced to offer scholarships and bursaries to victims of cancel culture.
Then there is social media. I don't have a clue what we can do, but I'm sure the experts can come up with something.
Then, I think it is time we started to tax activist groups. They should be regarded as profit-making businesses and treated as such. There should be something to penalize non-profits that just spend all their money on activism instead of actually giving money to widows and orphans.
But the main thing is: Wouldn't it be Fun!
Imagine the screams and the cries of racism! Imagine the rage of George Soros and the Tides Foundation. Imagine the stupidities that Brian Stelter and his Reliable Sources would blather on about. Imagine the fancy dresses that AOC would wear to show how hip she is, still.
I think that the important prequel to all this will be in the 2023-24 time frame, assuming that the midterm results in a GOP, er, let's call it a Brandon Congress.
Yes. If I were the Speaker in 2023 I'd start and end every media availability with a "Let's Go Brandon." And I think that when President Biden is announced for the State of the Union speech by the House Sergeant-at-Arms he should say: "Ladies and Gentlemen, the President of the United States." And then the Speaker should say: "Let's Go Brandon."
Hey, if Nancy Pelosi has the time to sit in a SOTU and shred the president's speech, I'd say that the next Speaker of the House of Representatives should wear a Let's Go Brandon face mask.
Or, in response to the women members that all dress in white for the SOTU, maybe all the Republicans should wear Let's Go Brandon suit jackets.
OK. That s enough for now. We don't want things to get out of hand.
No comments:
Post a Comment