Thursday, March 11, 2021

Who is Getting Screwed in Post COVID?

As I was taking leave of my Greek friend yesterday I asserted that we are going to see angry people in the months and years ahead.

But what people? Honestly, I have no idea. But, based on my infallible knowledge and instinct, I predict that there are tens of millions of Americans that got totally shafted by the year of COVID.

But, at this stage, we have little idea who they are and exactly how they got shafted.

But I bet you that by the time of the presidential nominating conventions of 2024 we will know exactly who they are.

Will it be the homeless? I don't mean the regular homeless but the people that got pitched out of their lives by the COVID shutdowns and didn't have the moxie to know how to find a new gig. Because welfare state.

Will it be the lower-middle class, people that don't quite make the cut to qualify as genuine victims, but who have suffered mightily over the past year?

Will it be the folks that stopped paying rent or their mortgage, because they could, and are now in a deep hole and they can't dig out?

Will it be the folk that got involved in the BLM-Anitfa riots last year and have now obtained finely-honed trouble-making skills?

Will it be middle-class women who "can't believe" how the police don't arrest and the courts don't prosecute thieves and thugs?

Will it be ordinary people outraged by the loot and plunder of the $1.9 trillion "stimulus" because they didn't get a share of the loot?

Will it be people that I just have no clue about?

My point is that the ruling class is clearly in a bit of a panic. That's what the reaction to Trump was all about: It Can't Happen Here. To coin a phrase. That's what the staggering overreaction to the January 6 riots was all about. Whereas the BLM-Antifa riots went on for six months to a "nothing to see here" chorus from the ruing-class media.

When people get into a panic, it means that they have encountered something unexpected, something that does not compute according to their world view, something that threatens their existence. Jordan B. Peterson deals with this rather nicely in his Beyond Order. Suppose you get a letter from the IRS.

If you receive an official piece of mail from [the tax] agency, your blood pressure will increase (or drop precipitously), your heart will pound, your palms will sweat, and a feeling of intense fear, even doom, may sweep over you. That is the instinctive response, associated with preparation for action, that accompanies exposure to danger.

Are you going to face the monster, or "suffer like a scared animal confronted by the predator's vicious eyes in the pitch of night"? Are you going to accept that your understanding of the world was flawed, and that you need to revise your world view?

Or are you, dear ruling class going back to same-old same-old and just do more of what comes naturally?

All I know is that I am going to be scanning the horizon to see how the American people deal with the aftermath of the COVID disaster.

And I think that our Democratic friends, in taking care of their supporters and thumbing their noses at the rest of America, have just made a huge strategic mistake.

But it could be that the opposite is true.

No comments:

Post a Comment