In this Cancel Culture age it is rare to see a good old-fashioned insult piece. But UnHerd.com is up to the challenge with "Why we French love to hate the English" by Frenchie Anne-Elisabeth Moutet.
Now, for the first time in my life, I understand why the French talk about "perfidious Albion." Read this catalog of English crimes:
It starts with use of unregulated longbows at Agincourt.
I agree! There oughta be a law! Then there is
burning Joan of Arc at the stake.
OK, so that was nasty. We moderns would never do that to Greta Thunberg. But here is something I didn't know:
Pitt’s flooding fake assignats to devalue French paper money during the Revolution (typical of the perfidiousness of Albion in all things financial[).]
I had thought all the French financial messes down the ages were all home grown. And this:
“Les Anglais conspired to break the Peace of Amiens in 1803, led the entire continent into war, and managed to pin it all on Napoleon!” one friend raged.
Wow! I had no idea!
Had enough?
And on to St. Helena, to Kitchener’s stand-off against Marchand at Fashoda in the Sudan in 1898, and of course to the sinking of a good chunk of the French Navy at Mers-el-Kébir on 3 July 1940 by the Royal Navy, rather than risking it fighting on for Vichy.
Well. Now I understand the French. They gotta right to be outraged.
And that is nothing compared to the insult to Queen Isabella, daughter of the king of France, wife of England's Edward II. Insulted by Edward's gay relationships she was forced to go home to Daddy in Paris, shack up with Roger Mortimer, and return to Britland at the head of an army and depose her husband.
Hey, you Rosbifs, don't even think about shaming our fine French princesses!
Only now, of course, the French don't have any princesses any more. What a shame!
Seriously though, I think that the good old male tradition of the insult, best practiced after a few at the local pub or tavern, is a vital part of human evolution. To be able to give and take a good honest insult is part of what it takes to be a man.
It is gratifying to see a rough, tough Frenchwoman showing that she can give it out like the best. My view is that if women really want to participate in the Public Square they need to understand and master the art of the insult -- instead of being perpetually insulted in the popular refrain of "I can't believe she said that."
And don't get me started on "safetyism."
No comments:
Post a Comment