Ever since I realized that women are not particularly interested in creativity, which rather blows up my notion of the People of the Creative Self, I have been casting around for something, anything, to make sense of the world again.
Anyway, I was lunching with a friend and she opined about the importance, to her, of beauty. As we parted I made a comment about trying to understand why women like beauty, for we agreed that beauty doesn't seem that important to men.
So here we are, with women as Learners, Carers, Teachers, and men as Creators, Fighters, Destroyers.
But what do women want? Beauty.
OK, fair is fair. What do men want? I think, based on my recent visit to the Acropolis in Athens, Greece, where everything is Nike, Nike, Nike (that is, Νίκη, or Nikky in classical Greek) when it isn't Athena, Athena, Athena (that is Αθηνα in Greek). And when you combine the two you get the temple of Athena Nike on the Acropolis just down from the Parthenon, but perching on the edge of the rock, right by the Propylaea. Yes, Men want Victory.
This is an interesting contrast, because it shows how the two sexes want completion in their different ways. Woman wants eternity frozen in the perfection of beauty, in herself and in her surroundings. Man wants eternity frozen in the moment when he has conquered the foe, or completed a project or work of art. Winning, as Donald Trump says.
Now, I experience woman's day-to-day life as one of busy-ness, the moment-to-moment business of looking after a home, caring for children, interacting with other women, and cleaning, cleaning, cleaning. (Of course, when women go into the workforce they do the same, only different). And, there is the eternal project of self-beautification and adornment. You can see that the ideal of this life would be for all the busy-ness and bother to coalesce into a perfect flow, an intersection of all the busy-ness into a perfect arrangement of everything: Beauty (that is Καλλος, Kallos, in classical Greek).
So how does this intersect with my reductive Three Peoples theory, and its notion of the People of the Creative Self? Good question.
I would say that women who are People of the Creative Self are women that strive to achieve Beauty, the ideal of momentary alignment and perfection, by creative means, or by creating a household of perfect beauty and children of perfect promise or even by "career". So, when you encounter a woman who seems to be a creative, you should understand what motivates her, what she is doing with her learning, caring, and teaching: getting to Beauty by creative means.
I would say that men who are People of the Creative Self are men that strive to achieve Victory, the ideal of momentary completion and dominance, by creative means. This could be military victory, sporting victory, corporate victory, artistic victory, you name it. But nike, nike, nike, all the way. So when you encounter a man who seems to be a creative, you should understand what motivates him, what he is doing with his creating, fighting, and destructing: getting to Victory by creative means.
But what about women that are People of the Responsible Self? I would say they strive for Beauty by conventional means, following the rules and roles that they have learned from their mother and their schooling.
But what about women that are People of the Subordinate Self? I suppose they would strive for Beauty as defined by their lord.
So there. I'd say we have just solved all the problems of the world. Until tomorrow.
Anyway, I was lunching with a friend and she opined about the importance, to her, of beauty. As we parted I made a comment about trying to understand why women like beauty, for we agreed that beauty doesn't seem that important to men.
So here we are, with women as Learners, Carers, Teachers, and men as Creators, Fighters, Destroyers.
But what do women want? Beauty.
OK, fair is fair. What do men want? I think, based on my recent visit to the Acropolis in Athens, Greece, where everything is Nike, Nike, Nike (that is, Νίκη, or Nikky in classical Greek) when it isn't Athena, Athena, Athena (that is Αθηνα in Greek). And when you combine the two you get the temple of Athena Nike on the Acropolis just down from the Parthenon, but perching on the edge of the rock, right by the Propylaea. Yes, Men want Victory.
This is an interesting contrast, because it shows how the two sexes want completion in their different ways. Woman wants eternity frozen in the perfection of beauty, in herself and in her surroundings. Man wants eternity frozen in the moment when he has conquered the foe, or completed a project or work of art. Winning, as Donald Trump says.
Now, I experience woman's day-to-day life as one of busy-ness, the moment-to-moment business of looking after a home, caring for children, interacting with other women, and cleaning, cleaning, cleaning. (Of course, when women go into the workforce they do the same, only different). And, there is the eternal project of self-beautification and adornment. You can see that the ideal of this life would be for all the busy-ness and bother to coalesce into a perfect flow, an intersection of all the busy-ness into a perfect arrangement of everything: Beauty (that is Καλλος, Kallos, in classical Greek).
So how does this intersect with my reductive Three Peoples theory, and its notion of the People of the Creative Self? Good question.
I would say that women who are People of the Creative Self are women that strive to achieve Beauty, the ideal of momentary alignment and perfection, by creative means, or by creating a household of perfect beauty and children of perfect promise or even by "career". So, when you encounter a woman who seems to be a creative, you should understand what motivates her, what she is doing with her learning, caring, and teaching: getting to Beauty by creative means.
I would say that men who are People of the Creative Self are men that strive to achieve Victory, the ideal of momentary completion and dominance, by creative means. This could be military victory, sporting victory, corporate victory, artistic victory, you name it. But nike, nike, nike, all the way. So when you encounter a man who seems to be a creative, you should understand what motivates him, what he is doing with his creating, fighting, and destructing: getting to Victory by creative means.
But what about women that are People of the Responsible Self? I would say they strive for Beauty by conventional means, following the rules and roles that they have learned from their mother and their schooling.
But what about women that are People of the Subordinate Self? I suppose they would strive for Beauty as defined by their lord.
So there. I'd say we have just solved all the problems of the world. Until tomorrow.
No comments:
Post a Comment