OK, so Bill Cosby finally got his get-out-of-jail-card. On a technicality. And now he is a free man again. And yes, if you want a non-feminist take on all this, Ilana Mercer is your gal.
I must say that the Cosby-Weinstein thing has been educational for me. It illustrates the problem of a high-status male that had never occurred to me, as a not-particularly high-status male.
Obviously, when you are a high-status male, women are always "presenting" themselves to you, because hypergamy. But you really don't have time to wine and dine and court them and even have an "affair," as they called it in Swing Era songs. So what do you do?
If you are Harvey Weinstein to take 'em out for champagne and caviar and then take them up to the office where you expose yourself and jerk off. Before returning to the restaurant with the girl rather the worse for wear.
If you are Bill Cosby and the university bureaucrat you -- time after time -- make sexual advances and she puts up with it. Because? Because she likes that he's interested in her? That he might help her in her career? That he might one day actually love her? Actually marry her? Or that she is just instinctively practicing hypergamy and really doesn't have a clue?
And if you are one of these high-status males, why not? Only, you don't want all the bother of treating her like a love object rather than a sex object. Because there are only 24 hours in a day.
A while back, I said it made me understand the rules in a Trollope novel.
[W]omen were protected from male aggression back then by simple rules about when a woman might be alone with a man that is not her father, her husband, or her fiancé. The rule was: never!
Why? Because the natural instinct in women is to "present" themselves to eligible men in pretty clothes and alluring make-up and nicely turned curves. I don't think that women really understand that all these things are automatically picked up by male "target acquisition radar" and turn on the "pursuit" instinct. They do it because it is programmed into their unconscious. I assume that goes also for the millions of women today that walk around in "leggings" that mold and present their butts and their thighs to the male gaze. Some of them wear pink leggings!
And, I think, the natural instinct in women is to submit to sexual aggression. I mean, whaddya do after the Vikings storm your village and kill all the men and herd the women together so the warriors can look them over and take their pick in strict warrior hierarchy order?
So I say that, sooner or later, we will have to return to the Trollope rule, where a young woman is never alone with a man unless he is her father, her husband, or her fiancé.
Mind you, I don't defend Bill Cosby or Harvey Weinstein. You play with fire, pal, and you gonna get burned.
Because women never forget.
No comments:
Post a Comment