Tuesday, January 14, 2020

Trying to Read Our Nance

So, what's the real story on Nancy Pelosi? Is she just an old woman, past her prime, hanging on as Speaker of the House of Representatives because she can?

Is she losing her marbles, as her recent appearances on TV seem to suggest?

Or is she still the cunning political manipulator that has brought the Democrats to a House majority in two elections, 2006 and 2018?

Is she hanging on, trying to keep the crazy lefties like AOC's mentor Saikat Chakrabarti from taking over the Democratic Party?

Or is she trying to blind-side Commie Bernie and favor Joe Biden for Democatic nominee as GOP House leader Kevin McCarthy proposes?

Is her delay of sending the impeachment articles over to the Senate a brilliant tactical move, as her supporters seem to think, or dumb and stupid, and my kind of racist sexist homophobe tends to think?

Or, as I wonder, is she, as a woman, just not up to the knockabout playground bully WWF style of partisan politics? I mean, women play a different game, of naming, shaming, and shunning, rather than the male approach of a sucker punch to the solar plexus.

And is that why Donald Trump won the 2016 election, because he fought the election as a man with flat out imsults while Hillary Clinton fought it as a woman, naming and shaming ordinary Americans to a gay audience as a basket of deplorables.

I don't know.

I just think that the Democrats have come out of hiding in the past few years. Back in the Bill Clinton years they were making like they were New Democrats and moderates. Then Barack Obama campaigned as a moderate and once in office unleashed the lefties. Now the lefties are everywhere, pushing their modern politics-as-religion on the rest of us.

And we don't like it. Nobody likes having someone push their religion on me. Lefties especially hated it when they accused conservatives of "legislating morality." But when you are forcing your religion on the other guys...

See, everything that the Democrats do is really pushing their religion, whether it's abortion for all, saving the planet, ending the gig economy, regulating firearms out of existence, open borders, you name it. But they don't think that. They think they are building a just and ethical world, bending the arc of history towards justice. Bless their hearts.

I tell you, the more I live the more I realize that our Founders were the geniuses of the ages.

I mean, what a concept! Separation of church and state so that people can go off in all directions with their crazy cults, believing whatever they want and creating a moral community that does not get to impose its morality on other people. But, when it comes to the nasty stuff, like robbers and murderers and cheats and frauds. Well, for those guys, we got politics, government, hangmen and jailers.

I was reading a piece today about black conservatives and how, if you didn't know they were black they would sound to you just like regular conservatives, the kind our liberals know and love as "white supremacists."

Of course, my line is that -- especially with the Trump Prosperity -- blacks are starting to transform themselves from Curtis Yarvin's Clients (or Victims) into Commoners. And as Commoners they think and live as American patriots: American nationalists if you like. Nothing fancy or remarkable about this. It's just that modern Commoners experience their tribe, their sense of political belonging, in the Nation.

Maybe the chaps that invented the notion of the Nation knew that, and instinctively molded the nation state to be a place where Commoners felt at home. I was reading about Sir Roger Scruton, RIP, that one of the keenest human yearnings is the yearning for home. At its most trivial it is the desire you feel on a trip to get back home. And Commoners feel politically at home in a nation.

But the fact is that the Democratic Party, led by centi-millionaire Our Nance, is an anti-Commoner party. It looks down on Commoner culture of work and family, Commoner politics of nation, Commoner religion, the whole arc of Commoner life.

And that, I suspect -- OK, I hope -- is going to cost them.

No comments:

Post a Comment