Thursday, September 7, 2017

Don't Get Mad, Get Even

I must say that when I read about President Trump doing a deal with the Democrats over the debt ceiling and funding the government through mid-December I was pleased.

Because I am really annoyed about the failure of the Republican Congress to pass President Trump's agenda. And, it should be said, their own announced determination to "repeal and replace" Obamacare.

So my reaction to Trump's Art of the Deal was: Serves 'em right.

Republicans are whining that Trump's action will make it more difficult to put coalitions together to pass the rest of his agenda. Oh really. Do tell.

Now they are whining because Steve Bannon has decided to go on the immortal Sunday night CBS war-horse 60 Minutes. Well, of course he is. I assume that Bannon reckons that a ton of conservative-lite Americans will find out for the first time about Bannon and Breitbart News and others will find out that Bannon and Breitbart are economic-nationalists and not the racist sexist homophobe white-supremacists of which they've heard tell.

I know I shouldn't get worked up about this. This cold civil war is a big deal and it isn't going to be over by bedtime. If we are going to win, it means a shocking culling of RINO Republicans in the 2018 midterms and increasing the Republican numbers in the Senate. It means a re-elected Trump in 2020 with shocking increases in black and Hispanic vote percentages.

It means that Democrats need to find out that their street protests and their street thugs in Black Lives Matter and Antifa are costing them millions of votes.

But my wishlist includes three more vital milestones.

First, we need to delegitimize the culture of protest. This is at the center of the left-wing culture, because the left-wing lives on the conceit that they, and only they, care for the marginalized and the excluded. And that advocating for them requires protestin' and marchin'. No it doesn't. we have universal franchise; that means that all grievances can be channeled through the political system.

Second, we need to roll back the culture that assumes that lefty activists are caring compassionate activists and anyone to the right of Sarah Palin is a white-supremacist fascist.

Third, we need to restore the rule of law. I don't know if you've noticed, but liberals live the idea that they don't have to obey the law, not the letter of the law, not the spirit of the law. If they don't like the law, why, they declare their city a sanctuary city and defy the law. And they get away with it. Or if Hillary Clinton defied the law on classified information, hey, she didn't really mean it. Yeah. Don't you try that. You will be made to obey the letter of the law, and you will lose your job for exercising your right to free speech.

I've been puzzling lately about just what the left means when they affirm their opposition to "fascism." I'm starting to think that for them fascism is any popular movement that is not part of the left. Because popular movements and street action are reserved for the left, who are on the side of history, but popular movement inspired by patriotism or nationalism are fascist, and will turn back the clock on history.

The trouble for the left is that demonizing the opposition drives the opposition underground. And I don't think that is a good idea. When you demonize the opposition you get the surprise of a Donald Trump and a Republican Congress and Republican state legislatures are far as the eye can see. And you still don't see that your side has a problem, because, after all, anyone that opposes you is a white supremacist and a fascist.

No comments:

Post a Comment