I did it. I ventured out into a nest of happy voting Democrats in the heart of Baghdad Jim McDermott’s Washington 7th Congressional District and voted for Sen. Barack Obama (D-IL).
Not because I think he’ll make a good president. No, I think that Obama has all the wrong fashionable liberal opinions on everything, from his youth as a community organizer in the cruel and unjust template of Saul Alinsky’s Rules for Radicals, to his oh-so-fashionable views on global warming.
No. To me it’s a matter of political hygiene. I think that the voters should switch parties about once every eight years (and definitely after twelve years).
There are two reasons to do this. First of all, any party gets corrupt, and we need to sweep the rascals out on a regular basis, on principle.
But the main reason is this. You just don’t do any serious thinking when you are in office. All you do is try to stay in office, and we can see where that got the Republicans.
There are great and worthy reforms that Republicans and conservatives need to offer to the American people, but right now the Republicans need to go into winter quarters at some modern version of Valley Forge and think about how to talk to the American people about their vision of the future.
In four years, or maybe eight years, the American people will be ready to listen to Republicans again, and then we can hope to start on a new age of conservative reform, and truly begin to roll back the cruel and unjust politics of the welfare state.
No comments:
Post a Comment