As I understand it, from reports on comments by regime operatives like Rep. Liz Cheney (R-WY), the whole point of the January 6 worse-than-Pearl-Harbor effort is to disqualify Donald Trump from running for president in 2024.
To which I say, be my guest. Throw me in the briar patch.
Because I think that disqualifying Donald Trump as per the Fourteenth Amendment, Section 3 is a stupid idea:
No person shall be a Senator or Representative in Congress... or hold any office... who.., shall have engaged in insurrection or rebellion against the same, or given aid or comfort to the enemies thereof.
See why they are bellowing about "armed insurrection?"
Wanna know why I think that the Dems are making a big mistake?
Because the big problem for racist-sexist-homophobes like me right now is: what happens when Trump and DeSantis both go for the presidency in 2024?
Gosh. If you were leaning to DeSantis, like me, it sure would help matters if Trump were disqualified and DeSantis could rage up and down the country declaiming against the monstrous injustice of disqualifying a candidate for president just because one of his supporters dressed up in a funny hat.
So if I were Nancy Pelosi and Chuck Schumer and all the Democratic ships at sea, I would love to have a Trump - DeSantis fight to the death! Maybe they could divide the Republican Party for the next ten years!
But if DeSantis were running unopposed and bellowing about the monstrous injustice to Donald Trump to the reverberate hills, what's not to like?
See, I think the horse has left the barn on populist-nationalist politics. Donald Trump discovered the vein of political gold: how to appeal to the broad middle class who live a sensible life of work and family. This was the problem of Republican candidates ever since the Democrats abandoned the white working class in the 1960s.
But now the problem is solved! Trump solved it, and all Republican candidates have to do is follow his lead while not triggering educated suburban moms that don't like loud boastful men. And my grandfather would say, "it's all over bar shouting."
Still, I appreciate what our Democratic friends are trying to do. By trying to make January 6 a December 7 or 9/11 moment -- or Gulf of Tonkin moment -- they are trying to call America to arms. That's what politicians to: define the enemy, and rally the nation to fight the foe.
Only, I don't think things are gong to work out for them in the way they think. For one thing, think of the optics. Pearl Harbor: billowing smoke, capsized battleships. Twin Towers: billowing smoke, people throwing themselves out of windows. Capitol Riot: chappie with a crazy hat.
Also, I don't suppose they have really thought this through. In his Pearl Harbor speech, President Roosevelt was calling the whole nation to arms. But the Democrats are calling their partisans to arms.
Do they really want to be rallying their supporters to a civil war?
I just don't think they have thought this through.
"Do they really want to be rallying their supporters to a civil war?" Especially when the other side has all the guns!
ReplyDelete