Thursday, June 10, 2021

Understand Your Liberal Friends and Be There For Them As Their World Collapses Around Them

We merry band of racist-sexist-homophobes, we happy few, have observed the "unfriending" thingy ever since the Dawn of Trump back in 2016.

Liberals get a social-media post or an email from an acquaintance about some political issue and they can't take it. So they "unfriend" the friend.

This happened to me back in early 2017 when a friend I had been going with to coffee for years said he was going away for a couple of weeks. So to speak. And now I am seeing it happening to others. Their liberal friends are angry, and they lash out.

I wonder why.

Well, I was reading a piece on "Lying to Liberals" by Auguste Meyrat at American Mind and he 'splained it all to me. Our liberal friends believe what they are carefully taught. All humans do.

When it comes to the legacy media, well-known technocrats, or leftist politicians, they will default to an assumption of truthfulness. Reporters can repeatedly report lies... Collecting the evidence and doing the work of finding and accepting the truth is much harder than simply trusting them, so people ignore the red flags and contradictions.

But, of course, eventually the truth starts knocking on the window, and it becomes more and more difficult to deal with the glitch in the Matrix.

What do you do when the world is not behaving the way you were "carefully taught?" You get angry. You lash out at the friends that don't go with the narrative. Then you "unfriend" them rather than face up to the fact that your understanding of the world, the "narrative" you go with, has crashed and burned.

I like to think that I have never done this, because, I tell myself, I am actually interested in the ravings of lefty lunatics. I am interested in understanding the narrative they subscribe to and figuring out at what point they have to give up and admit they were wrong. And I am interested in analyzing the lies they believe and trying to figure out the best place for a flanking attack. At least that is what I say to myself. No doubt I am just as bad as everyone else and I cling to crazy conspiracy theories about crazy lefties just as lefties cling to crazy conspiracy theories about right-wing white-supremacist patriarchs.

But I am here to urge my racist-sexist-homophobic friends to be understanding with your lefty friends. This is only the beginning of a long journey through hell for our lefty friends. 

It is telling, I think, that our lefty friends are already so paranoid a mere five months into the glorious Biden-Harris administration. Obviously they must feel, at some unconscious level, that all is not copacetic in liberal-land. OK, sure, they blame eevil racist Trump conspiracy theorists for everything that is going wrong: of course they do. But still, they feeel that something is wrong; something does not compute.

But think how much worse things are going to get for them. Already we are seeing the first uptick in inflation. Guess where that is going to go? We are seeing the push-back on CRT by concerned parents at local school districts. Is that merely the first ripple of a tidal wave? We are seeing surprising elections of Republicans in Hispanic voting districts. We are seeing sweetie New York Times journalist Mara Gray traumatized by Trump car parades and US flags on Long G-island over the Memorial Day weekend.

Think what it will be like for them if the schools and CRT thing blows up into a political hurricane? Think what it will mean for them if Sen. Joe Manchin (D-WV) switches parties and switches control of the United Senate. Think what it will be like for them if the 2022 mid-terms turn into a Democratic bloodbath. Think what it will be like for them if Trump gets his own social media platform going. Think what it will mean if moderate Democrats panic and break ranks and run for the hills in the months ahead.

See, what I say is: don't "unfriend" your liberal friends in the months and years ahead. Be there for them. They are going to need you as their whole world-view crashes in ruins about them, and they don't know what to do about it.

No comments:

Post a Comment