Thursday, July 4, 2019

Independence and Slavery and 3/5 of a Betsy

Yes indeed. It is a shocking thing to recall on this Independence Day that not a few of the signers of the Declaration of Independence were slave-owners. And that slaves were counted as 3/5 of a person for the purpose of apportionment of the House of Representatives.

And that therefore it is shocking for Nike to sell shoes with the Betsy-Ross-designed flag of the United States of America.

Hey lefties! How about utterly deploring the 1936 Constitution of the Soviet Union because all 170.6 million subjects of Union were slaves. Cat got your tongues?

Because as everyone knows, from my Great Reaction maxims, that socialism is neo-slavery. And ignorance is no excuse.

The truth is that the United States was formed in a remarkable time, the crazy hazy years of the transition in Europe from feudalism to something else.

From what to what? From Agriculture to Industry, certainly. From serfdom to freedom, or village communism to wage slavery? From subsistence to prosperity. From the rule of kings to the rule of the people? Or from feudal lords to industrial lords? From the administrative state of the absolute monarchs to the administrative state of the educated class? You tell me.

The fact is that everything is a muddle, always was, and always will. Our Founders lived in a time when would-be rulers were trying to think how government should be organized if it were not to be ruled by a dynasty of hereditary kings. They were also living in a time when, of all things, evangelical Christians were raising the question of slavery and its injustice.

So the fact that they had not solved all these problems by 5:00pm on July 4, 1776, is not a scandal. It is just life.

Here in North America, 250 years ago, a bunch of hotheads were outraged at the taxes that the Brits had raised to pay for the French-Indian War of the 1750s. They also were annoyed by special privileges accorded the ruling-class appointed East India Company.

In other words, then as now, there were a number of activists doing activism and outraged at the injustice they saw around them.

Hey! Me Too!

I am outraged at the injustice of the Social Security system that sequesters the savings of ordinary workers through the FICA tax so that, maybe, the savings can be paid back in their retirement years. But that meanwhile they don't have money that could be starting a business, or an IRA account at Fidelity. And the unemployment tax, that sequesters the savings of the workers as a tax against the possibility that they might be unemployed. Yeah, well. Most unemployment is due to the government's mismanagement of the economy. So how about politicians, economists, and bureaucrats get to pay for unemployment.

I am outraged at the incompetence of the government school system, K-12, and the daylight robbery of the university system that condemns our young people to years of indentured servitude through the student loan system. I demand a system where parents -- yeah, poor parents too -- get to direct the education of their children.

I am outraged at the collapse of the black family, through the cunning of lefties everywhere that have made black women into their electoral serfs, married to the government's welfare services system.

I am outraged by the cultural suicide of the sexual revolution that has reduced the war between the sexes to a war of all against all, as the manosphere battles the fem-o-sphere.

I am outraged by all the injustice I see around me and I demand justice!

Some people are demoralized by the cultural hegemony of the left, and I am too, on many days.

But then I remember that most lefties are idiots, that have never read a book, and never had a thought about anything in their lives but just parrot what they saw on MSNBC or read in The New York Times.

And I remember that power, political power is a very blunt and clumsy instrument, and that the people attracted to political power as a means of salvation are unusually blunt instruments. And that the secret ingredient of the Great Enrichment of the last 200 years is to let nobodies create new products and services and ideas and try not to get in the way too much.

And I remember that the old certainties that, in the words of the fictional Gerald O'Hara, "land is the only thing that lasts," is probably no longer true, that the defense and/or plundering of land and its food no longer really matters very much.

And I remember that our lefty friends are engaged upon a Great Reaction, a movement of monumental existential folly, reinventing slavery as socialism, feudalism as the welfare state, monarchical absolutism as administrative absolutism, the politics of plunder for the old wars of plunder. And so on.

And then I don't feel so bad.

No comments:

Post a Comment