Friday, August 25, 2006

Straight Talk or Forked Tongue


Look. I didn’t like John McCain in 2000. I didn’t like him running against the GOP base to the delight of the left-liberal media.

I didn’t like him taking pot-shots at President Bush in the first term, and not being much help on the tax cuts.

I didn’t like the rabbit punch at the First Amendment in the McCain-Feingold incumbent protection act.

And, if you are interested, I didn’t like the reports that he had a habit of breaking airplanes when he was in the U.S. Navy. In the RAF back in Britland they have a rule that when you wreck your third aeroplane then you are grounded. Forever.

I just don’t like people who are rough on equipment. I figure that they are likely to be careless and rough on other things in their lives.

So I didn’t like Senator John McCain’s “day at the beach” remarks. In his major speeches President Bush has been perfectly clear that the War on Terror is going to be long and painful.

OK. So I enjoyed David Limbaugh’s critique of Senator McCain. He thinks that the “day at the beach” remarks make McCain’s presidential hopes even more of a long shot than before.

The only chance he had hinged on his steadfast support for the war effort and his refusal to side with partisan Democrats who have born false witness against President Bush in saying he lied about Iraq. With his latest shameless utterance, McCain has virtually sabotaged his already dim chances for the Republican nomination — and rightly so.

So let McCain enjoy the adulation of the mainstream media. It’s about the only adulation he is likely to get—and rightly so.

No comments:

Post a Comment