Monday, July 3, 2006

The Internet is Amazing


It’s the little things that matter. That is what women have been telling men for ages. And it is the little things on the Internet that matter, too.

Over the weekend, Lady Marjorie was trying to save some JPEGs emailed to her by a friend. Only the computer would get jammed up trying to save the files from her email browser. What to do?

It turned out that if you tried to browse to the affected directory with Windows Explorer it would hang too. What could be wrong?

After a day of foolishness, I finally decided to Google "windows explorer crashes jpeg" and here is what I found.

The problem is caused when you have Adobe’s Photoshop or Elements on your machine. If you have the “generate thumbnails” option set, then if you have too many JPEGs in the directory Windows Explorer will crash as it generates all the thumbnails. Writes John Inzer from Picture It!

right click on a .jpg file and choose
Properties. Click the Photoshop Image tab
and uncheck the "Generate Thumbnails" button,
then click OK.

Voila! Problem solved.

I’m sorry, but after an experience like that I just sit back in wonder. How is it possible, I ask. To have all that knowledge and technique and troubleshooting help available for free.

It is mind-boggling.

No comments:

Post a Comment