Friday, July 18, 2008

Liberals' Race Crutch

Affirmative action opponent Linda Chavez comments today on a boringly same-old-same-old race poll conducted by The New York Times. Guess what. African Americans are convinced that the US is racist.


But the interesting part of the post is the comments section. There’s Scott:


I am a bureaucrat in a big city welfare department. I am constantly amazed at the level of racial hostility I see in my black co-workers, including those with graduate degrees who earn over $100,000 a year. rom listening to these folks, one would think we are living in Alabama in 1955.


Why not? Race resentment has been a goldmine for blacks. Then there’s Shefali, from India.


I live in Austin, Texas. In my neighborhood, it’s about 45% white, 25% Hispanic, 10% Asian and 20% black. Over the Fourth of July my next door neighbors had a cookout. Everyone was invited. Many people were away visiting family, but of the people who were around, almost everyone - Latino, Asian, white - showed up. But the blacks stayed away.


So blacks don’t want to integrate with the rest of America. But why should he apologize for white racism?


[A] lot of blacks seem to have a tribal mentality. It’s sad, but I don’t see how I, an immigrant from India, can be to blame for their suffering as slaves, etc. My ancestors were treated horribly by the British but I have had English friends and I don’t blame modern Brits for the cruelty of their forefathers.


Maybe he has a point!


Maybe in a few years, after the bloom is off the Obama rose, the Democratic Party will end up as the party of the Cultural Creatives and the African Americans. Everyone else will have MovedOn to the party that ended slavery, ended stagflation, ended the Cold War, and liberated Iraq.



No comments:

Post a Comment