Friday, May 30, 2008

Obama's Summer Trip

Our chaps have been doing a good job lately investigating Sen. Barack Obama’s lack of seriousness on Iraq.

Talk-show host Hugh Hewitt says to Obama: “Meet Michael Yon. Now, Read His Book.” He is referring to Yon’s recently published Moment of Truth in Iraq.

Presidential candidate John McCain has offered to take Obama to Iraq so that he can update his 872 day old views on that embattled country.

What kind of presidential candidate would last have been in Iraq 872 days ago and counting, the conservatives ask?

Come now, fellas. The answer is pretty straightforward: A candidate who needs to keep the Angry Left quiet until he gets the Democratic Presidential nomination. He wouldn’t want to know about the success of the surge, at least not yet. Not until August.

Up until Obama clinches the Democratic nomination he must be reliably against the war and for a troop withdrawal.

But after he gets the nomination...

Well, already, having rejected John McCain’s travel offer as a cheap political trick, he is saying that he might very well go to Iraq in the summer.

Here’s a prediction. When he gets back from Iraq and his little chat with Gen. Petraeus, Obama will say, “Why, Golly Gee!”

Well he won’t say that, but he will say the equivalent in liberalspeak.

“Why did President Bush lie to me about Iraq and the facts on the ground? I have been to Iraq and I can now say that the briefings I was getting from the Pentagon were all wrong. Based on my understanding of events on the ground and my conversations with people I have met there I believe there is a chance that we can stabilize the Iraq regime and bring our troops home. But in order for this to work the Iraqi government must do better in meeting its milestones, and I will insist that all milestones be met before a single additional soldier is sent to Iraq. Despite the incompetence of the Bush administration and its failed strategy I believe that we can achieve reconciliation in Iraq, and I have a plan to achieve success, one that corrects the mistakes of the Bush administration.”

And, of course the mainstream media will swoon. Best speech on national security by an American politician in the last 50 years, they will say.

They call this sort of thing “The Turn.”

No comments:

Post a Comment