The fundamental thing to understand about the media is the blood-in-the-water principle.
The media is always lovey-dovey with people in power. But as soon as there’s blood in the water, and a powerful person appears wounded, then the media sharks appear from near and far to take a bite. It’s called the feeding frenzy.
I remember when I first understood this. It was twenty years ago when the coach of the Seattle Seahawks, Jack Patera, was fired. All of a sudden we learned that the sports personalities who had been interviewing Patera on the “Jack Patera Show” before every Seahawks game for years—with Jack this and Jack that—never really liked the guy. And they thought he was a lousy coach. Oh good. Now they tell us.
This week it looks like there’s blood in the water for the Clintons. Jennifer Rubin writes that the media really don’t like the Clintons. She quotes Tucker Carlson:
They’re awful to the media: let’s be totally blunt. They’re awful to the press. They treat the press like enemies. [Clinton Communication Director] Howard Wolfson’s always calling around threatening people. Threatening people! News organizations! They do that! People hate you if you do that. I mean, they’ve earned the enmity of the press, in my view. They have. I mean, it’s been hard but they’ve done it.
Really. You mean all along in the Nineties while the MSM was rolling on the floor at Bill Clinton’s feet they really didn’t like him? And the Clintons are meanie-jellybeanies? Now you tell us.
OK. I’m grownup. I can take it.
This must mean that Hillary Clinton really is down for the count. Forget the polls. The Texas and Ohio primaries are going to be blowouts. It’s blood-in-the-water time. Sharks appearing from near and far. Feeding frenzy. Otherwise nobody would dare.
I reckon that over the years the Clintons have probably used their power to wreck the careers of several journalists they didn’t like. It’s the sort of thing that media insiders all know about. Only we never got to read about it.
Well, you wouldn’t want to cross the powerful Clintons.
Not until now.
No comments:
Post a Comment