Monday, October 9, 2006

Big Families: Here They Come


Give this trend another year, and it will be on the cover of Time.

You know what I’m talking about: the trend towards large families.

Right now, the attitude seems to be: Why not? We can afford it, so why not? The threat of “overpopulation” is over, so why not? Our kids are a lot of fun, so why not?

Not to mention this: We’ve got a gigantic McMansion, so why not?

Of course, parents of big families still encounter a lot of judgmentalism, according to David Crary. And that is wrong. Bonny Clark, mother of three, was pregnant with twins.

"There were a lot of unwelcome comments, like, 'If I had three kids and was having twins, I'd kill myself,'" Mrs. Clark said.

You and I, tolerant non-judgmentalists, may be excused if we are shocked by the mean-spirited attitude behind such judgmentalism. And to think that they were probably made by women!

Mrs. Bennett, mother of five with a sixth on the way,

says the main reaction she gets from mothers with fewer children is, "How do you do it?"



"My answer is I don't think about it too much," she said. "You do what you need to do, and you have to just let go of a few things. Don't expect things to be perfect every day."

Still, you’d think she’d stop at five, in deference to that other Mrs. Bennet, mother of Jane, Elizabeth, Mary, Kitty, and Lydia.

No comments:

Post a Comment